The following tips will to help you protect the environment and reduce your carbon footprint before, during, and after your move.
- Rinse disposable diapers before throwing them away.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Recycle cardboard boxes after unpacking.
- Use phosphate-free laundry detergent.
- Recycle whenever possible.
- Sweep instead of hosing down any driveways.
- Use sand or kitty litter instead of salt on icy sidewalks.
- Minimize paved surfaces on your property and retain as much vegetation as possible.
- Use water-based products rather than solvent-based.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides by using mulch and organic fertilizers instead.
- Mow your lawn frequently to increase grass shoot density.
- Keep your car tuned and serviced regularly.
- Recycle and dispose of oil safely.
- Wash your car on grass.
- Keep a trash container in your vehicle to prevent littering.
- Inquire with the Solid Waste Division in your county for disposal instructions for non-recyclable and non-hazardous waste.
- Check with your county’s Solid Waste Recycling Division for instructions on disposing of recyclables.
- Check the Solid Waste / Hazardous Wastes Division in your county for instructions on the disposal of paints, oil, pesticides, dyes, and coolants.